Saturday, March 9, 2013

Diva Dash 2013

It was a cold and rainy morning.  That's how some horror stories start, but this is describing one of my favorite days.  Today was the Diva Dash 5K and Lil Princess Fun Run.  So, I signed Allison, Jen and myself up for it.  When my alarm went off this morning and I heard the rain, I instantly decided to SKIP the run.  I woke up and went to inform Allison of this new turn of events.  Her response was all it took for me to quickly change my mind.  She was crying big crocodile tears.  Her breathing was heavy and all she could get out was, "But MOMMY!  I.  WANT.  TO.  RUN."  Next thing I know, I'm lacing up my shoes and pinning her bib on her shirt.

The weather was less than ideal, but the company was more than adequate.  She inspires me to persevere.  Even when I think it doesn't matter.

This was Allison's FIRST run.  She was so determined to do it.  My 5K started at 8:30.  Allison hung out with some friends, in the freezing rain waiting.  I ran my run in less than 29 minutes!  I wanted to make sure she wasn't changing her mind.  She hugged me when I finished and I asked her if she wanted to go home.  Even though her teeth were chattering, she shook her head.  We waited another 30 minutes in the wind and rain.  Then it was her moment.  They lined the girls up by ages.  Allison was running with about 15 other 6 year olds.  Their distance was 250 yards.  She asked me to run with her, but I was the only mom out there.  So when the horn blew, I told her to go and I'd follow.  The pack of girls ran solid.  Allison ran the WHOLE way!  As soon as I caught up with her, I hugged her.  Told her how proud I was of her.  We walked to get her medal and headed for the car.  After we got in she started to cry and say, "Mommy, I was the last girl to cross the finish line!"  I turned and looked at her and said, "Sweetie, I am so proud of you.  It didn't matter when you crossed that line.  It matters that you finished and did your best."  She's already planning her next run.  She might be little like me.  :)

Allison and me, before

Allison waiting in the rain. 

This was Jen's second 5K!!! 

Our swag from today.

No comments: