Friday, November 21, 2008

Turkeys Drive?


On Wednesday morning, I was driving Owen to school listening to 98 fm playing Christmas music.  When the d.j. came on he started hyping their "Turkey Drive" that was going to be held on Friday.  Owen was quiet for about 5 minutes, then he pipes up, "Turkeys driving?  That can't be good!"  I had to really hold back on the laughter.  Once I was able to breathe, I explained to him that some families in Wichita have had some hard times and weren't able to buy the turkeys and other items they would need to make their Thanksgiving Dinner.  Owen was in shock that there were people, families that wouldn't have a turkey next Thursday.  I could hear his the wheels turning in his head.  Then he declares, "Mommy!  We have to get a turkey and give to a family so they can eat!"  And so today, the day of the Turkey Drive, we got busy doing our regular thing and never brought it up again until we were on our way to dinner.  Owen announces, "Mommy, we forgot to get the turkey!"  I looked at the clock and saw that it was 3:45.  I told him that we would eat and see if we had time to get a turkey and drop it off.  Low and behold, we were done at 4:35.  I ran into the store, bought a turkey and we delivered it to the radio station.  Owen didn't say to much, but I could tell he was soaking it all in.  It is amazing what inspires us to do good things and be good people.  For me, today, it was my son.

2 comments:

peanut3762 said...

It's easy for him to be inspired to do good when he has you and Jake as his role models.

ozartink said...

job well done!!!!!!!!!! Learn by example and it stays with you for a lifetime! Dad