Thursday, July 24, 2008

All Worth It...


Night terrors, freak-outs, sleep deprivation, growing pains...I've read about them all and yet it still upsets me a little to have to go through an episode with my son in the middle of the night listening to him scream/cry at me with random bursts that make no sense.

Tonight it only lasted about 15 minutes, while I played his relaxing music he sat in the corner of his room rocking and screaming off and on.  Finally, I asked him if he wanted me to pick him up and put him back into bed.  That I would rub his legs, just like I do for daddy.  Between sighs he says that he would like that.  So I pick him up and lay him down.  He rolls with his back to me, so I start slowly rubbing one leg and then the other.  I cover him with his blanket and he slowly rolls onto his back with his eyes shut.  He looks like an angel, even though I feel like hell.  I whisper, "I love you".  Then it happens, while he is laying there with his eyes still closed, he whispers, "I love you, too."

I slowly raise myself off the floor by his bed, close his bedroom door and walk back to my room in the dark.  I will do this as many times as I need to, he is my angel, my son and I love him.

1 comment:

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Carrie,
You are the best Mom ever! Owen is blessed to have such a loving and patient Mother. He really is an angel!