Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fitness 5, 2010


At 7:00 this morning, I ran my 3rd Fitness 5 miler. It's an annual run they hold at the Smokey Hill River Festival. It was my first race EVER 2 years ago. This year I had to run it alone, my husband had to work. However, I still had a pace buddy... Mother Nature.

I pulled into the parking lot and began to walk towards the registration and first aid shelters. It was starting to spit a little rain. Once I got to the second shelter, it let it rip. We are talking gusts of wind, instant puddles of about 1/2 inch. I was shivering and contemplating how serious I was about this whole thing. This was going to be my last race for at least a year. I had to do it, unless I saw lightening. 5 minutes before the start time, it stopped! I walked with the other shocked runners at the great luck to the starting line. Because of the the down pour earlier, there was a delay of 10 minutes for the gun to go off. It didn't rain the entire run! There were some serious dark clouds moving in. And at mile 4, I heard some thunder in the distance. But as I came around the corner towards the finish line, I saw my first lighting bolt. I kicked it in high and finished in my fastest time yet!

I crossed the finish line, walked by the water station, picked up 2 cups and kept on walking towards the car. As soon as I got back to my in-laws house, it poured again. Thanks Mother Nature, for motivation and awesome weather for my best run yet.