Friday, November 16, 2018

First One...

In everyone's life, you will experience MILLIONS of "firsts".  Last night, my son got to have one of those moments and I got to be lucky to experience it with him.

My son is a gamer.  And a very talented one at that.  His knowledge on character bios, attack skills and evolution of the consoles is astounding.  Even last December he and I BUILT a gaming PC from parts.  I'm confident he will use these gifts for some career in the future.  But until then, Jake and I continue to encourage his passion.

Last night, was a Pre-release Release of a long anticipated game.  I wasn't completely sure as to what I was getting myself into, but with Owen by my side I knew it would be good.  I had gone to the GameStop store on Wednesday to try and order Pokemon, Evee "Bundle Package" (it came with a cool Pokemon Ball controller).  The guy at the counter told me they had ONE left in the store and I could buy it on Thursday after 3:00, get a number and then show up at 9:00 that night to get the purchase before it was available to the public on Friday.  Owen's eyes LIT UP when he heard this.  So I agreed to all the above.

At 3:15 yesterday, I took the kids after pick up from school to GameStop and we paid for the game.  They put a special sticker on our receipt that indicated we were in group 1 and were told to show up slightly before 9:00 that night to get a spot in line.

At 8:30, Owen and I left the house to go to the store.  There weren't many cars there, so we went inside.  Apparently, the store closes at 9:00 to the public.  But at 9:01 they were handing out the merchandise that people had bought if they had their receipt and sticker.



Owen made a few bonds with the fellow gamers in line with him.  He kept telling me he could feel the adrenaline buzzing around his ears.  It was so fun to see him in his element.  By 9:04, we were back in the car driving home with a 14 year old boy grinning ear to ear.  He even got a limited edition 2-sided poster with the game.




As we drove home in the dark, he told me how thankful he was I did this and that it was AWESOME being his "first" game release event.  I smiled, my heart very full and knowing that this probably won't be his last.  But I'm thankful I got to be there for the first.

No comments: