Monday, November 5, 2018

Volleyball Tryouts


Allie put herself out there, and I am so PROUD of her!  Sunday she had Club Volleyball tryouts from 1-4.  Unfortunately, she woke up that morning at 4:00 and was really tired by the time tryouts started.  But she gave it her best.

I'm not going to lie, it was intimidating...even for me.  There were around 35 girls trying out for the U-12 league.  At the most, they were going to accept 20 girls divided into two teams.  Most of the girls had friends that they immediately clung to and practiced with.  Even the moms had their posè they would stand around with and chat.  So Allie and I paired up along the edge of the gym and practiced bumping and setting the ball.

Then they dismissed the parents so the coaches could run drills and evaluate in the next 2 hours which girls they wanted to have on their team.  I know I overheard one coach ask Allie what her number was and wrote something down on her clip board.  I was so nervous for her.  After the tryouts, they said they would call in the next 24 hours and let the girls know if they made the team.

U-12 girls had a second chance to play if they didn't make the team.  They could join the Youth League.  It's 4th-6th graders who make up a team and practice once a week for an hour and a half.  They also play in 2 tournaments.  The Youth League still affiliates with the Club South Volleyball, they even have uniforms and fees.  It's just a less rigorous schedule.

To relax after dinner, Allie and I watched "Miracle Season" (it's a true story about a high school volleyball team) and ate ice cream.  During the ending of the movie, the coaches called me to let me know Allie didn't make the cut for the club teams.  But they strongly encouraged that she should sign up for the Youth League.

I'm not going to sugar coat it, we were both a little disappointed.  But we know this is God's plan.  On November 15th, I will be signing her up for the Youth League.  She's excited to be playing this winter either way.  But with the lighter schedule, I think we might be able to explore an art class as well!!!

No comments: