Monday, July 6, 2009

Binkie Fairy-Take One


I've always known that my daughter has the personality that if she wants to do something, she's going to do it. So this shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did. But boy does it make for a great story!

Last night while I was brushing Allie's teeth she pulls back, puts her hands into a prayer pose, looking up at me with these wishful blue eyes and says, "Please mommy, can we call the Binkie Fairy?" I pause and look at her. "You want me to call the Binkie Fairy?" "Yes." she says, then explains, "If the Binkie Fairy comes she'll take away my binkies and give them to babies and then leave me a BIG GIRL PRESENT!" Once I realize she is serious, I quickly gather up the binkies into the "magic" bag and text my sister to give her a heads up that we will be calling her very soon. We make the call and Allie is all excited. We put the bag on the hall side of her gate and kiss her good night. She can't wait to see what the Binkie Fairy will bring her. I go downstairs and start watching TV with Jake.

Thirty minutes later, we hear this "NNNOOOOO, BIIINNNKIIEEE!!!!" I go upstairs and find my sweet little daughter laying on the floor by the gate, tears rolling down her face, looking at me and saying, "I... need... my... binkie!" I pick up the bag and her and take her back to bed. I lay her down and explain that it is okay if she needs them. We can always call the Fairy another night. She takes a binkie and puts it in her mouth. Then looking up at me, with tears rolling silently down her cheeks, she says, "I'm not a big girl. I need my binkie. Take my bed back." I quietly chuckle, smile and tell her that she is a "big girl" and she'll give up the binkie soon, just when she is REALLY ready. To be continued...

1 comment:

ozartink said...

Where did you get the "binkie fairie? It makes me think of Allie. Cute is not enough to label the situation!