Friday, September 18, 2009

Empty Nest

First day of Kid's Day Out!

Owen wishing his sister "Good Luck!"

Girls Breakfast at McDonald's.

I can carry my OWN backpack!

Singing, while walking along the curb.

Holding mommy's hand.

Follow the signs.

It says, "Allion Arnett". Allie told me so!

B-10 is her new classroom!

I'm ready to have fun!

I woke up at 6:50 this morning to a beautiful little girl. She was very excited that today was her first day of Kid's Day Out. We had some alone time before Owen woke up. We got dressed and Allie wanted to be pretty so we put makeup on mommy and lip gloss on Allie. I will never forget the two of us, standing at the mirror getting ready.

After we took the traditional first day of school pictures, we dropped Owen off at school and went to McDonald's for a "girls breakfast". When we finished our sandwiches, small talk and chocolate milk it was time to take her. I walked her into the building and we found her name tag and they directed us to her classroom. As we were walking through her door, I was asked to sign her in. She didn't even pause! She ran right in and started playing with some of the kids. I hung up her backpack and called her over to kiss me goodbye. She smiled, ran to me, gave me a kiss then ran back to playing. I walked out, after taking a few more pictures, feeling incredibly proud of her and a little empty inside.

I hung out in the parking lot talking to other moms for about half an hour. Then following a friend's suggestion, I went to wander around Target. The whole time I was there I kept thinking I was forgetting something. I know deep down it wasn't forgetting, it was missing. I love my children and I couldn't be prouder of the two of them. I might need a hobby?

3 comments:

Angie said...

Alli looks so cute in that dress, I believe I picked that out for her. Apparently I have delightful taste. You don't need a new hobby just imagine you could shop or get a bikini wax or even work out without any children. Wow.

Mindi said...

I have had that same "empty" feeling twice this week. I took Brandon to preschool on Monday and then last night we took Hoover to my friends house. (the one from facebook was serious about taking him). I couldn't sleep last night-and couldn't decide what the guilty feeling came from-sad for my friend, sad for Abby or did I actually miss that darn dog???? Tell me what you find to for a hobby.

ozartink said...

Time for Mom to have time......perhaps that art class may prove to be a challenge? I am sure you will find something to occupy the time!