Thursday, June 23, 2011

A brief hijacking


Please allow me a few moments to give you a view of Boston from another point of view. This is Jake, Carrie's husband, writing my first and likely last blog. I mean really, I'm not the blogging type. What follows is my reflection on our time in Boston and a brief list of the places and experiences I saw as defining our time here.

Here they are, in no particular order, my favorite things about Boston...

Children's Hospital of Boston
This was the reason we came here. Reportedly the best pediatric hospital in the nation. The place to go if you want to become an expert in anything pediatric. It didn't disappoint. CHB and I formed a true love/hate relationship. It soaked up my time, made me sleep deprived, made me want to tear my hair out. It also gave me a set of skills, knowledge, and confidence I simply couldn't have obtained anywhere else. It was an experience I'm glad I had and one I'm glad is over.

Red Sox Nation
I thought I'd go to a game at Fenway, see what the fuss was about. I ended up going to 5 over the year, buying 2 hats, a jacket, a shirt, nearly wearing out my first hat, dragging anyone who visited by Fenway as an excuse to go myself. Owen loves Big Papi. Pedroia is my favorite. Allie likes the Monster. No city loves a team more than Boston loves theirs and now I see why. Go Sox, Yankees suck.

Snow
I kind of enjoyed it, kind of...

Michael's Deli
The food in Boston is incredible. Best food of any city I've spent considerable time in. Michael's stands out even here. Michael is a grumpy guy. He doesn't take checks or cards. He doesn't split sandwiches. He's been known to throw people out for texting in line. He also gives Owen free cookies and asks how I'm doing every time I come in. He makes the best tuna melt around and serves it with an old school pickle wrapped up in butcher paper. If you're in town, stop by, you'll be glad you did.

Running Culture
You'll see guys like this running here. You'll see beginners running here. You'll see lots and lots of people running here. Up and down the Charles. At Harvard Stadium. Around Fresh Pond. I may miss this part the most.

Carrie
When we started this adventure, I told my wife I wanted to move our family out of our big new house, cut my pay to 1/4 what it was, and work twice the hours so I could better understand how to take care of other people's kids in the operating room. Can you believe she said OK? There's only one Carrie and I'm lucky to have found her. Always optimistic. Better organized than anyone you know. She made this possible and made it fun. Then she started training for a marathon, in her spare time.

I'm leaving out so much. There's no mention of the Museum of Fine Arts, the freaks in Harvard Square, chowder, Bruins, I could go on and on. I'll stop here, thanks for allowing the interruption, the next post will have cute pictures of the kids, I promise.

5 comments:

ozartink said...

Well said!! Cliff notes it may be...but the high points were covered, credit given, and apologies made......not that they were needed! I think that team Arnett are tops....in whatever they pursue. Of course, I am very biased....but I have good reasons! Much success in the future....your lessons learned will pay forward for years to come.

Patsy Baker said...

I tell Carrie all the time, but your post so I tell you. Love you, miss you, glad you are coming home.

Patsy Baker said...

And great tour of Boston.

peanut3762 said...

Really nice to hear your side of things! Travel safely and we all look forward to welcoming you guys home!

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

What a great experience Boston has been for your family. You and Carrie are both amazing and you inspire me! You both have great attitudes and are very ambitious. It's been fun following your blog and your adventures.