Friday, August 17, 2018

My Yellow House

Once we decided to move to Spokane, I got serious about looking on line for our next house.  I have to confess, there was ONE that stood out to me from the very beginning.  It was bigger than I thought we would get, more expensive than I thought we could afford and how often do you get what you've always wished for.

As long as I can remember, I've been drawn to yellow houses.  When Jake and I were first married and living in an apartment in KC, we would drive by this cute little yellow house that was for sale in a neighborhood near us.  I LOVED IT!  But life took us to Wichita, so we did the next best thing and built our dream house.  However, it wasn't yellow.  It was perfect for us as a growing family.  There wasn't a thing I would have changed.

Fast forward to May 2018, we are planning a move to Spokane and looking on line for houses we would like to walk through on our house hunting trip as a family in June.  I fell for this yellow house the first time it's pic popped up on my screen.  I showed it to Jake and the kids.  They liked it too.  I showed it to my father-in-law and friends.  They approved and thought it was perfect.  But just so we didn't put all our hope into one house, we made a list of about 7 houses we wanted to walk through with our real estate agent on June 11th.

As a family we flew to Spokane and checked the city out over the weekend.  Which included a fun rafting trip.

On Monday, we were eager to start walking through the houses.  One of the 7 was pending by the time we got to Spokane, so we made a plan to check out the remaining 6.  Our agent knew we had a favorite, so we started with that one.  It didn't disappoint us.  As we walked through each room, we could visualize ourselves living there.  Even with the furnishings of the current owner.  We loved it!  And it was YELLOW!!!!

We spent the next few hours going through the remaining houses, finding a second option that would have worked for us.  But after Tuesday's second walk through of the yellow house and plan "B" house we all decided YELLOW was our next home.  So we put in an offer and prayed it would work out.

After a counter and another counter back, we agreed to a price and a closing date.  The date would prove to be the harder part of the agreement (more about that later).  So we flew back to Wichita to get serious about packing and finishing out our last summer in Kansas strong.

No comments: