Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sorry for the delay!




So, my laptop went dead and the charger was MIA.  Therefore, I was unable to blog for about a week.  But the problem has been resolved and the blogging will continue!!!

As I have said before, MY plan isn't always the right plan.  On August 2, I was getting the car ready and the kids were with me buying last minute "road trip" essentials.  My mom and her husband had arrived earlier today and were at my sister's house waiting for her to get off work so we could all meet for our last supper in Wichita.  I needed to run back by the house from Target to check on something, when disaster struck!

I was heading east bound on 19th Street, crossing over 127th into our neighborhood.  Now, 127th is under construction and only one lane (North bound) open.  There is a lot of construction signs and debris in the road and in both shoulders.  I stopped at the stop sign, which happens to be a hard to see spot.  I looked and didn't see anyone coming.  Normally, I stop again just past all the blockage for cars.  But I was confident I didn't see anyone and just continued to drive across the street.

That's when I heard the horn honking.  Only seconds before my car smashed into their driver's side.  Thank God, I wasn't going very fast and no one was hurt.  But the damage was real.  With ringing in my ears, I immediately looked at my kids to make sure they were ok.  Owen was in the front passenger seat calmly telling me he's fine.  The air bag didn't even touch him, since his seat was so far back.  He did have a mark from the seat belt on his right jawline.  Allie was crying!  Not a single mark on her, but she just kept crying that it was all her fault.  If she hadn't been talking to me, I wouldn't have been distracted.  I immediately tell her it wasn't her fault and make sure she isn't hurt.

Approximately 5 minutes after contact, I am out of the car checking on the other vehicle.  The man was alone in his car, but had a bloody nose.  The very first car on the seen was an off duty paramedic. He called the accident in and waited for both the ambulance and police to arrive.  One of God's angels on Earth for sure.

My kids were sitting on the curb with the few items left in my car.  I called Jake at work to tell him I was in an accident, but everyone was ok.  I called my mom and sister.  They both arrived within 15 minutes to help with the kids.  After the professionals arrived and I wrote my report, the officer said I could go home.  The funny part was we were so close, that the kids and I walked home.

I called my insurance to start the process, not exactly sure what my plan would be since we were planning to leave the next morning.  By 7:00, my mom took me and the kids to dinner and I started working on the "New Plan".  Little did I know then, this new one would become so much better!  I'll share that with you tomorrow.

No comments: