Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And so our ADVENTURE starts...



I'm not sure where to start? We left our wonderful home of Wichita, KS and flew (yes, I just said flew! My father-in-law offered to drive my loaded up car to Boston for us and buy us all tickets to fly there!!!) on Monday, August 9th at 7:00 am. We had a lay-over in Dallas, TX (I don't get it either!) of almost 2 hours. And yet we almost missed our connecting flight! Here's what happened, we got off our first plane and looked at the departing monitors to find out where to catch the next plane. The screen said "Boston...gate A29", so we all got on the mono-rail system and rode around the terminals to gate A29. We saw a Dunkin' by gate A28, so we got some doughnuts and parked it there. Our tickets said that we were to board at 10:10, so a 10:00 Jen said she would go to the bathroom. I asked her to check the monitor again to make sure our flight wasn't delayed. She returned with a stunned look. Then tells me the screen now says gate C36!! I run over and double check, YEP!!! We gather all of our stuff, run to get on the mono-rail and ride it over to terminal A. We run, yes...all 4 of us and 2 back packs run and make it to gate just as it called the last group to board! We land safely in Boston at 3:00 (Boston time). Here is where it gets FUN! Jen and I put on our back packs and take the kids to baggage claim. We get all 4 suitcases, double stack them so we can use one hand, and hold the hands of the kids and walk out to where the shuttle bus (silver line) will pick us up for the T (red line). Side note-We are also taking turns carrying this huge blue care bear of Allie's. It's a little warmer than we were ready for, so there was sweat...lots of sweat! We get off the T at Harvard Square and take our caravan to an Au Bon Pain for some food (we haven't eaten since Dallas before 10:00) and to use the bathrooms. After a nice rest, we load back up and start our WALK to our new "home". It's .92 miles away. Thank God for my iPhone, I knew exactly where we were going and didn't get lost. We actually found this amazing park half way and stopped to let the kids play and give our arms a rest. Jake then texted me that he was off and heading our way. The reunion was perfect and sweet. He joined our group as we all walked the rest of the way. Owen talked and talked to daddy, Allie was commenting on the architecture with Jen and I was happy. I was over 100 other things all day, but at that moment I was happy. Let the adventure begin.

3 comments:

Emz said...

it's the journey not the destination right? ;)

love it!

ozartink said...

Toto....I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.......

Angie said...

you are going to have an amazing year.