Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Style, All His Own

Not Owen, but it's who I felt like I was talking to!

I always knew that some day, I wouldn't be able to just dress my kids. They would have an opinion and a say in what went on their body. For some reason, I figured it would be Allie and probably when she started school. (She tends to notice what others are wearing, especially if it is prettier than what she's got!) But recently, my 6 year old son has been the one speaking up. A couple of weeks ago, I bought him a black long-sleeve shirt that had flames painted on the sleeves and a hooded sweatshirt with the Jolly Roger on the front. Both articles of clothing seemed to scream him... but I was soon proven otherwise. As soon as I showed him, he gave me a frown and said, "I don't like them." I tried to show how cool they were, but he just told me he wasn't going to wear them to school. "They are too embarrassing." WHAT? I explained to him that he needed the warmer clothes and he said he would wear them on the weekend or during school vacations. I'm sorry, where did this all come from and what did you do with my sweet little boy? Tomorrow is picture day. The two of us discussed what he will be wearing and we came to a mutual agreement. Hopefully he smiles.

2 comments:

Angie said...

So i heard a rumor that you're coming to visit in Feb. Is it true? Please say yes.

ozartink said...

Owen is stepping up and becoming himself....on his terms.....who knows what will be next?