Wednesday, September 5, 2018

When all you can do is laugh!



So we got into our respective vehicles and got on the road.  I stopped at McDonald's to get Allie and myself some breakfast.  We synced our map routes with Jake and planned to meet at our VRBO in Hot Springs, SD.  I'm driving on I-135 north when it happens... Lucy pukes in the back seat.  We hadn't even made it past Park City.  Allie is freaking out a little, but I manage to keep her calm to help calm Lucy.

I pull over to the side of the highway and run around to Lucy's back seat.  Allie gets out and holds her leash, while I pull her blanket that she was laying on out of the car to wipe it down.  THANK GOODNESS our friends the Brothertons gave us a travel box that had wet wipes and trash bags.  I got it all cleaned up and the blanket was big enough to just fold a different way to put back down for Lucy to lay on.  The whole drill took only 10 minutes and we were back on the road.  Lucy laid down and fell asleep.

We stopped in Nebraska to grab some lunch and let Lucy walk around.  We even met up with the boys at the Subway.  I filled up the car with gas and we continued our drive.  Unfortunately, Lucy was awake now and proceeded to puke again.  Not as much this time, so I repeated the drill and we only lost about 10 minutes.  As we were cruising along, she started panting.  So I had Allie pour her a small bowl of water to drink.  Probably not the best idea, but I was trying to make everyone comfortable.  In about 15 minutes, it happened.

I heard the sound of a dog gagging followed by the sound of what was like a dumping of a water cup.  This time it wasn't on the blanket.  This time it was on Allie.  And in an instant I looked in my mirror to see my baby screaming and crying that she had vomit ALL OVER HER!!!  Before I could pull over, Lucy did it again.

This pit stop wouldn't take only 10 minutes.  I had Allie standing on the side of the road wearing a towel around her waist (I had her take off her shorts and shirt) with a jacket on and holding Lucy on her leash.  I as swiftly as I could, cleaned out the back seat and refolded the blanket.

At the next gas station, we met up with the boys.  I had Owen walk Lucy around a little and she threw up a couple more times.  She was so tired by the time we got on the road, she went right to sleep and slept until we reached the VRBO.

As I pulled into the driveway, all I could do was laugh.  We had made it.  In my rental car that now smelled like McDonald's, Subway, dog and vomit.  Some days the road we travel is smooth and sunny, others are not.  But in those moments, LAUGH.  Because they are only MOMENTS!

1 comment:

peanut3762 said...

Jeepers dude! Memorable car trip regardless! Well done!