Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Gift 26

Pops

Everyone has a mom and dad.  And if you are lucky like me, you were blessed with ones that love you.  But recently I've been given the gift of living with my father-in-law.

I know, some of you may think I'm crazy.  But let me explain.

I've always liked my father-in-law.  He and I would get along at family functions.  But our interactions were limited to that.  Then a few years ago, he retired and they moved to Wichita to be closer to us.  Our interactions became more casual but just as limited as my mother-in-law was slowly losing the ability to live.

Fast forward to last April, she passed away and we decided to move to Spokane within 24 hours.  This was definitely God's plan.  Jake and I decided Pops needed to sell his house and move in with us.  It would give him a permanent address with the flexibility to travel and enjoy life.  We even found a house that was big enough for all of us (yellow house).

Now comes to the part I like to tell people.  Whenever someone hears that my father-in-law is living with me, I ALWAYS get a sympathetic look.  Then I fill them in on how AWESOME it has been.

Pops is very independent and is willing to help me in any way I need.  He has volunteered the duty of taking Owen to boxing 3 times a week for me.  He takes the trash out and makes sure it's on the curb for Tuesdays.  He's gone with me to the dog park and to the laundromat several times.

We have even planned a vacation for just Jake and I in January, so Pops will be in charge of kid duties for the week for us.  Plus, just knowing we have family in town is great if someone should get ill or needs to be at the house for a delivery.

He has even joined the gym I workout at and a local Senior Citizen Center.  He's gone on a few trips/tours, but I think he might stay close to home until it warms up.

I also see the huge benefit that both my kids and husband get with their relationships to him.  Not every grandkid gets to know their grandparent so well.  We are a small sized family, even when we include extended members.  So this gift is not just mine.  We all are blessed with Pops.

Pops snowplowing the driveway and sidewalks.

Pops in his new bedroom chair.

Pops enjoying a margarita.

Pops picking out his TV room chair.

No comments: