Sunday, December 30, 2018

Gift 29

Being recognized.  This one sounds odd, but there is a reason.

We went for our second day of skiing at Mt. Spokane.  Jake went snowboarding, Owen was going up chair 5 with our ski class and Allie and I were working through the magic carpet/bunny hill.  Allie and I were resting at the bottom and talking about something when a woman walked up to me and asked, "Are you Carrie Arnett?"

I was bundled up with a ski helmet and goggles on, so that fact that she recognized me was amazing.  But it worried me that she had been sent to find the woman in the bright yellow ski coat because one of her family members had been injured.

I replied, "Yes,"  and then she proceeds to say I thought so and my husband works with Jake.  Then her husband and another partner in the magic carpet line start chatting with me.  This woman had only really met me 2 times in party environments, so it was a miracle she remembered me.  To be honest, I didn't until she mentioned her husband's name.

In Wichita, I couldn't even run a simple errand to the store without running into at least 3 people I knew and 1 who would want to stop and chat.  It felt like we lived in a community.  Now, it is happening here.  And on a mountain!!!

The cool fact about this gift, it's isn't just mine.  Owen was running up to the rental lodge to get something when someone recognized him.  His small group leader from church.  It was such a good feeling.  We are building our community, being recognized.


No comments: