Monday, December 3, 2018

Gift 3

QUARTERS!  This one sounds weird, but let me fill in with a back story.

Eight years ago, we were living in Cambridge, Massachusetts.  Parking in most areas of Boston require meter money.  So began my habit of collecting quarters from change in a coin purse to use for the meters.  In the beginning I was even going to the bank to buy rolls of quarters.  Eventually, I started getting a surplus of them.

Then we moved back to Wichita, which DOESN'T have meter parking.  But being a person of habit, I continued to collect quarters.  I even bought this really cool plastic bank that looked like a gummy bear.  Over time, I filled that bear and started on some other banks.

Fast forward to today.  We have been without a working washing machine since the first part of October.  There have been MANY challenges along the way to fixing the washing machine.  The ending will be us getting a new washer and dryer on December 10th.  So for the last few months, I have been taking our laundry to a laundromat on the South Hill.

It may sound like an ENORMOUS headache, but it was actually a hidden blessing.  This laundromat is in a VERY nice neighborhood and ALWAYS has working/available machines.  My kids were able to go with me a few times and even learned how to do laundry.  Plus, I didn't have to think about laundry buy once a week for a total of 2 hours.  And the icing on this, I still had this gummy bear bank that I had moved half way across the country FILLED with quarters just waiting to save the day.

Hanging out in the Laundromat.

Today may have been the last time, for a long while, that I go to the Laundromat.  But by looking at my bank of quarters, it's still there for when I need it.  Quarters.


No comments: